Standing Shoulder to Shoulder, Changing History

News — the tar sands action team November 7, 2011 at 11:33 am
Friends– There are days along any journey that stick with you, and today was one of them. Under blue Indian Summer skies, more than ten thousand people from every corner of the country descended on Washington;  then, with great precision, they fanned out to ring the White House and take a stand against the Keystone pipeline. Here are just a couple of pictures, and you can see lots more by clicking here.

(photo by Josh Lopez)

(Photo by Christine Irvine)

What speaker after speaker today made clear (and they came from every part of our movement: indigenous leaders, labor organizers, environmentalists, young people, preachers) was that today was in no way a grand finale — there’s lots more work to do. I have no idea how this battle is going come out — only that, together, we stand a chance to shut down this dirty pipeline and shift the flow not just of oil but of history. This day was an important part of that history, and we’ll carry it’s power with us as we take this fight forward. Thanks in advance for all the work we’ll do together,  shoulder-to-shoulder, on the road ahead. Onwards, Bill McKibben
  1. CarrelDawn says:

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO MADE IT.

2. Cindy Greb says:

A HUGE hug and THANK YOU to everyone who showed up yesterday. May the good Earth prevail and may big gas/oil flounder. May our Waters and our Earth and our Air be clean once again. May life thrive. May greed fail.

3. Mike Howard says:

What an amazing rally. Such great people, for such a great cause. I am buzzing today, and the entire drive back to NYC last night. Let’s keep up the fight guys.

And as the one speaker said, PLEASE send a hand written note to the White House this week (while it is fresh in your mind), and include a photo of yourself at the rally. And ask for a reply from Obama.

The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500
    They ask that you include your e-mail address in your letter.

Please LIKE this post, so it stays up top, and share with anyone you know that was at the rally,
    Mike

4. Michael Eckford says:

I am one of the 2/3+ genuine majority of Canadians who voted against pseudoPrime Minister Stephen Harper, his gang of cons and their false “majority” non-government in our most recent first past the post election fraud. Harper may think he is “our” Prime Minister, but he is delusional on myriad levels… 350.org fairvote.ca

5. Charles_Siegel says:

Over 10,000 this year, and I am hoping for over 100,000 next year.

6. A big “thank you” from Sewanee, Tennessee. Nearly sixty of us made the journey to stand with you. Next stop: Obama fund-raising office.

• Ina says:

DGH: I saw on your blog a mention of birds in DC this weekend. The Sierra Club posted a pic of a gorgeous Cooper’s Hawk at the rally. And the night before, as a KXL activist from Oregon and I walked from Rhode Island Avenue area to the All Souls Unitarian Church pre-rally, bless God, a Great Blue Heron flew up just ahead of us. It’s wing span was so dramatic, and it seemed so out of place (downtown DC, not far from K street vultures???) for a moment, I suspected it was a camera drone. But around the corner was a lovely park and pond… Go figure…

7. Anonymous says:

good on you all! 10,000 – that’s more like it! sorry that I was too ill to attend this time, keep it up.

8. MEFROMNEWYORK says:

HI EVERYONE,
    IN AUGUST I WAS ASKED AS MANY OF YOU WERE A SIMPLE ENOUGH QUESTION AND THAT WAS “WHY” AND I JUST HAVE TO SAY “THIS IS WHY”
    HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE STAFF AND ALL OF THE SUPPORTERS
    GREAT JOB, KEEP STRONG.

9. K2 says:

those people in the rally are awsome!! there taking a stand for what is right.they know oil will not fix are economy and more are environment because with out are environment there is no economy because the sustainibility of are resources are the fundimental of are economy. also they should add to the debate one person a week dies on a oil rig and thats only in canada. also just think of all the diseases and toxins that are in mankind right now that come from the combustion of oil.

10. Pjmd says:

Bill McKibben, you are more worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize than the 2009 recipient.

11. Yippee says:

I think I’d like to see “Occupy BlowOurselves”. A Hyooooge recreation of the Human Centipede. With all off you muzzled all up into each other and whimpering. Yeah. I’d like to see that. Hell, I’ll even “Like” that Facebook page. OH! I know. FLASH Human Centipede. YES!