Van Jones Sends Solidarity to Everyone at the White House Today

News — the tar sands action team November 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm
This post originally appeared on Grist.
I wish I could be there, helping you to surround my old workplace. Only unavoidable family obligations are keeping me away; I would be there with you under any other circumstances, and my spirit absolutely is. We have a duty to support the president when he is right (for instance, fighting for the jobs bill). And we have an equal duty to oppose him when he is wrong. And if he is even considering approving this monstrous, planet-killing proposal, President Obama is flat-out, absolutely, and 100 percent wrong. Let the message be clear: We, the People, cannot accept this. If the White House lets the proposal go forward, there should be nonviolent civil disobedience and mass arrests along every mile, foot, and inch of the construction route — until it is impossible to complete. August was the beginning of the “people’s veto” of this whole proposal; we will never give up until the very idea of Keystone XL is dead and buried. But is should never come to that. I call upon President Obama to stand with the people who stood with him and who stand for future generations: reject Keystone XL. All people of conscience reject it. I stand with them, loud and proud. So should President Obama. Green jobs for all!

1. Imagine the tea party supporting a cause where a birther was a spokesperson. I’m not sure we should be associating ourselves with Van Jones. It may undermine our legitimacy. Maybe someone can explain to me why I’m wrong.

2. Uncle Bergie says:

Sean, why the Van Jones hate? I’ve seen him speak in San Francisco, and know people who work with the Ella Baker Center, which does amazing work in Oakland. He got slandered hard during his short (non-existent?) tenure in the White House, but really, he’s done a lot of great work.

Is it something with the 9/11 questioning? Honestly, I’m not up on this, but I like the guy.

3. Uncle Bergie says: