Nine Nobel Peace Laureates Urge Obama to Reject Keystone XL

News — the tar sands action team September 7, 2011 at 11:13 am
Archbisop Desmond Tutu, His Holiness the Dalai Lama and seven other Nobel Peace Laureates have just written a letter to President Obama urging him to reject the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline, and to begin building a clean energy future immediately. “We urge you to say no” to the pipeline and “turn your attention back to supporting renewable sources of energy and clean transportation solutions,” the letter says. “This will be your legacy to Americans and the global community: energy that sustains the lives and livelihoods of future generations.” Click here for more
  1. Trade approval of the pipeline for enactment of an effective “Fee and Dividend” program.

2. Liz says:

This is wonderful news. Will be shared widely here in Canada ahead of our September 26 civil disobedience sit-in at Parliament Hill in Ottawa

• Tamarin50 says:

Liz, I’ve been searching for you! When I got my property back from the Park Service after my arrest your business card was missing. I’ve googled and searched and even joined LinkdIn (but don’t know how to navigate their site) looking for your email. Please reply to Carol Skinner, tamarin50@yahoo.com I was arrested on Aug. 20 and jailed for 52 hrs. You took a photo of the 4 of us from NE Ohio and I hope I can get a copy. I see you decided to risk arrest as well. Kudos! Keep in touch. Carol

3. Nobama says:

Oh come on. They gave Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for crying out loud. That makes it worthless and give no credibility to those that have it.

4. Wow!! The momentum keeps rolling!

5. Carlo Voli says:

This is fantastic!!!! Thank you Peace Nobel Laureates for adding your powerful voices to this important and crucial cause.

6. susan weiss says:

Obama, Yes You Can “MAN UP” and do the right thing for our planet…

7. Nobama says:

Anyone But Obama.

8. Lisa Brown says:

No! From Holland, MI – a green-initiatives-works-community!

9. Tom Teters says:

We need National News Notice Now, when will that happen???

10. JG 3 says:

I heard a bunch of dead people also wrote letters.

11. Alec Johnson says:

Very encouraging news!

12. Mariel Escobar says:

Please write or call Oprah Winfrey TODAY and tell her to STOP showing the advertisement calling the Tar Sands “ETHICAL OIL”. That is completely outrageous!

This is the link to the ad – despicable! Using oppressed women in OPEC nations to guilt folks into buying from a nation that supresses and destroys lands of First Nations Peoples!!??

Tell her to stop this – she can learn, and we must show her the way. She has been misled by Big Oil, Big Money. thanks – m

13. Nikpear says:

Unfortunately Obama will likely approve the pipeline for purely political reasons–there is no way he would get re-elected after the Republicans savaged him for denying local petroleum sources over sources from the Middle East, Venezuela etc. I don’t see Obama as someone having the courage to take on the powerful petroleum interests. Its great that the Nobel laureates have sent this letter, but I fear the worst will happen. Then we will have to resort to civil disobedience at the worksites.

14. Nikpear says:

15. Mona Aditya says:

Would urging different heads of the nations around the world also to join the list make any difference? Share your thoughts!

16. Wonderful to see this good conscience coming from near and far to save our planet home from the increasing climate crisis and to try to ward off the disaster. Blessings on all who stand against the Keystone Pipeline project and who lobby and write and protest for clean, renewable, safe forms of energy.

Daniela of New York City