Message From Randy the Rancher to Bold Nebraskans in Washington, DC today

Endorsements,News — the tar sands action team August 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

Mitch Paine Photography

Randy Thompson is a landowner from Merrick County:

I want to thank all of my fellow Nebraskans who are in DC protesting the pipeline, and I want all of you to know that I respect and admire the courage and personal commitment you have shown by being there.

It is time that the American people send a message to the big oil companies and their political allies, and that message is this: We are fed up with having our livelihoods and natural resources put at risk just for the sake of corporate profit, and we are also fed up with a politicians who fail to hear to our voices, but instead cater to those who can fatten their campaign coffers.

There are many unanswered questions about this project but one thing is becoming abundantly clear, Americans do not support or want this pipeline.

Please make sure they get the message.

God’s speed.

1. Anonymous says:

How can he run a ranch without gas and oil? How did all those protesters get to DC without using gas or oil?. As I have said before, this oil is here on this continent and with a friendly neighbor instead in the unstable mid east. We had better take it now while we can. If we don’t, China will. When it’s gone, it’s gone.

2. Anonymous says:

• Lvanhouten says:

You’re correct, of course, that we all leave a carbon footprint on this Earth. But we must try the best we can to mitigate the costs of what we do on our communities, families, land, and wildlife. If you have children or grandchildren I hope you realize that they will suffer the destruction and devastation if this pipeline goes through. This pipeline, as it snakes through many regions across the country, will probably put us over the limit with the carbon dioxide spilling forth in the atmosphere. And, as has happened with the native peoples of Canada, your children/grandchildren will suffer enormous health costs from the toxins being emitted onto land and waters. They now have huge cancer rates and other ailments because of Tar Sands. So, if this means we have to change our way of life and standard of living, then so be it. Would you rather have a habitable Earth to live on and with or a few inconveniences? Think about it. Oh, and just so you know, I would say a huge majority of the activists who came to DC came in caravans or car pools to save on gas and oil.

• Byron says:

And when it is all gone we will still be dealing with cancers and undrinkable water and unusable land where any major spills occur. And I know that you do understand that there is a very real likelihood of there eventually being a catastrophic spill that could devastate this country from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains.

Then no one will be able to ranch, not even the way we did for most of our history without oil!

3. Gumbypoole says:

You people need a life! We need this pipeline and all the oil we can get. Oil sands, off-shore drilling, etc. DRILL BABY DRILL!!

• Byron says:

And you Gumbypoole need to think a little bit about what this is all about. We are running out of oil, no matter what we do, and tar sands extraction is about as insane as an addct can get. Since we will soon be out, no matter what we do, why destroy the land and water before we run out of oil. Why not protect the land and water which are infinitely more valuable than oil. I have a life, thank you, and I’m still going to jail to stop this insanity! Drill, Baby, Drill! Spill, Baby, Spill! Kill, Baby, Kill!

4. Gumbypoole says:

• Byron says:

5. Guest says:

This man loves his land and doesn’t want to see it ruined by this pipeline, which will NOT solve our long-term energy needs. When all the oil is gone, the land may be permanently ruined, and we’ll still need more oil. Though I have lived in California for over 30 years, I am a native of Nebraska, and I applaud this man and the other ranchers who want to save their land. By the way, I commute to work on our Clean Air Express buses or on the Amtrak, and try to drive as little as possible. The more public transportation is available, the less I’ll buy gas.

6. Guest says:

7. Artefex says:

Nice post =) i saw a link that has been in the news a lot lately over here, maybe interesting to check aswell http://www.teakhout-leeuw.nl nice stuff for wood lovers.