More Arrests "Lighting a fire"

Uncategorized — 350.org Team August 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm
If the police thought that they would discourage more Americans from taking part in the sit-ins at the White House by keeping Bill McKibben and Saturday’s participants in jail, they were completely wrong. Another group of over 70 people gathered in Lafeyette Square Park today. 45 of them were arrested for the second day of sit-ins at the White House. “Saturday’s arrests and overnight jailings are already lighting a fire,” said Mike Tidwell, director of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network, who was also arrested Saturday. “More people are now inspired, determined, and committed to join. On Monday alone over 20 DC-area doctors, lawyers and students will be going to jail to chant, sing, and stop the pipeline. They’ll be joining Nebraska ranchers and others nationwide. Word is spreading.” Earlier this summer, a young man named Tim DeChristopher was sentenced for two years in jail for disrupting the sale of federal land for oil and gas drilling. He and his allies in Utah spoke of the need for “joy and resolve,” both in the face of  the climate crisis and in specific situations like civil disobedience. I think the words “joy and resolve” describe the look on the face of the young woman in the photo above. When asked how they felt risking arrest this morning, especially after the escalation of threats by the police, many people said “proud” and “patriotic.” From Henry David Thoreau to Martin Luther King, Jr., civil disobedience has been a great American tradition. It is an honor to stand and work with those 45 people today and the many more tomorrow who are making that tradition a living, breathing reality.
  1. Mark Skudlarek says:

Just Real People doing what Real People do best. These folks are doing more to protect all the Earth’s inhabitants than any coalition of standing armies has ever pondered doing.

Keep the faith and remain strong. Save me some room in the pokey.

2. Mark Skudlarek says:

Keep the faith and remain strong. Save me some room in the pokey.

3. Judith D. Schwartz says:

To all of you arrestees — thanks for your courage and know that many are with you. I had hoped to join you but my son said he didn’t want me to get arrested and I felt I had to honor that. Nor did I take the arresting thing all that seriously. Shows how naive I’ve remained, in spite of everything.

• Jskog83 says:

thanks for considering this Judith
      Perhaps you would send a photo of yourself in solidarity, to 350.org
      they are gathering photos there to support this action

4. Judith D. Schwartz says:

5. John Bonitz says:

Sending my thanks and gratitude to all those who are giving their time and risking harm in this non-violent action. DC & Capitol Police are no fun. But the XL Pipeline is a disaster that must be stopped. President Barack Obama, hear the people saying ‘no’!

6. John Bonitz says:

7. MEL says:

Thank you for standing up.

8. Betsy says:

People being held together in jail is a great opportunity for older activists and younger ones, and people from all different communities and subcultures, to learn from each other and forge new alliances and friendships. (NH politics was transformed — over the next 30 years — by all the people who were jailed together for several days during the anti-Seabrook demonstrations in the early 1970s.) I can’t join you this time but many of us are with you in spirit.

9. Swatson12 says:

We need more press involved… how to make that happen??? Please!

10. Barbara says:

I was arrested 13x during the bush years. It’s okay and if it encourages more civil disobedience, then it’s worth it. Carry on, good people.

11. Jochrome says:

This is a great cause. Thanks for helping out America and the world to diminish green house gases

12. Fludwig12 says:

Just returned from jail. Fortunately our group was released after a few hours. Worst part– tight handcuffs and stuffy police van. best part– inspiration of people from allover the country and of all ages who feel as I do that serious climate action is urgently needed. The park police were very courteous and kind. I hope that our $100 fines get added to their budget.

13. Una Isakovic says:

I simply do not understant why this people have to be arrested? Ok, maybe I am stupid…. still, something is wrong! Let`s compare what people are doing in England and with what purposes…. and this people before White House. Are there any difference between purposes, behavior, mind, conciousness? YES, EXTREMELY BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Why US authorities acting like that, arresting this protesters? Free country? WELL, I WOUDN`T SAY THAT!

14. Toast says:

It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.
    - Ansel Adams

15. Carolyn Shaw says:

We are coming to the Tar Sands Action. Whatever the consequences. To me the proposed pipeline was the last straw.

Consider this..Since the 1970′s we’ve seen the Chernobyl disaster; the Exxon Valdez spill; floods in Bangladesh; persistent fires in California and other Western states; the giant tsunami in Indonesia/Thailand/Malaysia; Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana; earthquakes in Chile, Nicaragua and New Zealand; the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and off coastal Florida; volcanic eruptions in Indonesia and Hawaii; the recent earthquake/giant tsunami and nuclear terror in Japan; forest fires and mudslides in the Western U.S.; the slow desertification of sub-Saharan Africa; health crises and displacement of peoples throughout the world; the creation of huge “dead zones” in the oceans; famines and the creation of moving refugee populations; shortages or nonexistence of potable water in many human communities; the gradual shrinking of the Amazon and, daily, the extinction of new species at the hand of the most intelligent one.

Some list,eh?

Twenty-eight years ago, feeling great Despair for my children;s futures, I walked across this country in an effort to sound an alarm about the nuclear threat.In 2011 the Despair has returned. This time it is for the future of my three grandchildren.

There is hope: acting together we can turn this train around! I hope to see you in D.C.;

16. CMorris6 says:

I appreciate all those who are giving their time and taking risk in standing up for the environment. Being in the news and on the web is also helping to put the word out to the rest of the world. There are things like this passes by without some of us hearing about it.

17. Kid_victory1 says:

Fludwig, how could you possibly hope that your fine “gets added to [the police's] budget”? The police are just as culpable and responsible for this mess as the white house! ACAB

18. Grahame Bell says:

you do us all in the UK proud with your resolve and determination. We had riots but somehow because wthose concerned turned on their own people they lost the argument and most people’s sympathy. Well done .Let’s hope that this resolve will lead toa chnge in policy and more important a change in attitude from commerce. It is ultimately in the interest of the INDIVIDUALS in these commercial organisations to adopt more humane policy

19. Lavina says:

I would be there, too, if I could.

20. Lavina says:

I would be there, too, if I could.

21. Bfarretta, WA state says:

Thank you, Tar Sands Protesters !! If I lived closer, I’d be there in my wheelchair.

22. Bfarretta, WA state says:

23. Carl Chew says:

Thanks to all of you who are making such a powerful statement with your willingness to be arrested. I applaud you. Some of the people leaving comments would belittle your efforts–don’t worry about them, they will be standing with us eventually.

24. Carl Chew says:

25. Dean Hulse says:

Dan,

I’m preparing to fly to DC on Tuesday and I can tell you that NOBODY is paying for ANY of my expenses. I can’t speak for others, but I’d be willing to wager with you that their story is the same as mine. Care to tell me how much you’re willing to bet?

26. Charles_Siegel says:

“All you’re doing is bothering the Park Police and keeping them from doing more important stuff. ”

Sure, all of those things that are so much more important than controlling global warming and preserving a livable world.

27. Jfreiberg says:

How dare you belittle the efforts of those that came to Washington, who have given not only their time but their hard earned cash, who have thought hard and long about the issues involved and come to the decision that they must stand for their beliefs.

28. Anonymous says:

Well, Dan, since you know so much… why don’t you start a group and protest the pipeline? Or maybe its because this issue really isn’t all that important to you. The title of Troll given by the commenters here is appropriate, seeing as you have contributed nothing positive to the discussions.

29. Una Isakovic says:

Why Dan, `cause of me and my question and comment? Please do not do that. You had mentioned the time…. whose time? WE DO NOT HAVE TIME, your country (I am from Europe!) and the whole planet! I apologize in advance if I`ve been rude…

30. Charles_Siegel says:

“by doing this, you lost me as a supporter.”

We all know that you were never a supporter – just a troll.

31. Yna Davis says:

I agree that maybe being arrested can seem too drastic or unnecessary. But whether or not you approve of the actions, I can’t imagine you were ever a supporter of the cause itself if you’ll give it up just because of other supporters’ actions– or the fact that they believe in it enough to take those actions.

32. Lavina says:

Just what do you support? You sound like an oil supporter.

33. Anonymous says:

My country love it or leave it – sound familiar, Dan? I despised such people 40 years ago and still despise them. It’s my country too, Dan, and I’ll damn well go eye to eye with you false patriots who turn out in droves on July 4 to celebrate death and war. Screw you.

34. Charles_Siegel says:

We know, Gandhi and Martin Luther King were just on ego trips.

35. TOm says:

Principled, non-violent civil disobedience is a venerable American tradition of protest, dating back to the Revolution and Thoreau.

36. TOm says:

37. Jfreiberg says:

I can verify that. My son got arrested on Saturday. He paid for all his expenses getting to Washington and now he has to come up with the money to pay the court.

38. Lavina says:

Also, yes, they are doing it to get needed attention! Duh!

39. Lavina says:

Also, yes, they are doing it to get needed attention! Duh!